what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A New Feature for the Blog?

I have several times recently referred to the world being overwhelmed with text- let alone images.
In despair, I half-seriously suggested we needed to ration at least non-fiction books.
I’m surprised that no one has so far turned that back on me to ask why then this blog continues to inflict prose on others……I have an answer….which is that my posts are generally designed to help guide people (a) around complex subjects and (b) toward good text.
A Musing Decade put it as simply as I could – namely that few people have the length and breadth of the experience which I can claim to in a variety of roles, countries and disciplines. Both my “voice” and reading notes have developed over a 50 year period which has seen massive social changes.
The top of the blog’s right-hand column lists about 12 titles - of E-books on such subjects as “Reforming the State”; the global economic crisis; cultural aspects of Bulgaria, Germany and Romania, the 2014 Scottish Referendum, the blog’s annual collections; and, shortly, Brexit
That’s more than 3,000 pages of text – and probably about 20,000 hyperlinks – a veritable Aladdin’s Cave which lies largely untouched.
That’s why A Musing Decade talks about an amazing “resource” – developed over ten years, taking the trouble to identify appropriate links and weave them into text….more recently creating thematic collections on those subjects…

And that’s why I’m now considering what sort of changes I need to make to the blog to raise its profile so that more people can access the material. The change of name is a very minor step. The next is to draw more attention to the E-books….
So, on those days when there is no new post, I will try to select an excerpt from one of the E-books…

No comments:

Post a Comment