what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Amazon arrogance - they actually couldn't care less about customers

I’m delighted to report that Amazon have locked me out of my account. I used Amazon these past few years only when I’m in my summer house in the mountains – otherwise the combination of bookshops here in Bucharest and the internet Zlibrary more than satisfy my needs. Indeed I have an embarrassment of unread books – particularly virtual ones in pdf format (more than 500).

Amazon have recently started a security coding system which depends exclusively on smart phones – which I refuse to adopt. So I can no longer use my password to check in to my account. I tried this evening to alert them to this – but had first to go through a security check which I failed since I was unable to give them

-       my precise postal code; I gave them the correct address but one of numbers of the 6 digit postal code was wrong

-       3 titles of recent purchases (which were late last summer – which they could confirm - but I could remember only one title since I have looked at literally hundreds of books since then);

-       or the number of my current credit card (which is out of date and I have destroyed as the bank advised)   

They can assert they were just looking after my interests but to lock me out when 99% of the detail was correct is sheer stupidity. I was feeling guilty about continuing to use Amazon (even spasmodically) – they have done such huge damage to

-       the book trade

-       independent bookshops

-       national budgets

     pollution in the skies as they fly stuff we don't need so quickly

So I am relieved that they have been so stupid as to lock out someone who had been a good customer of theirs for more than 20 years – needing books which were simply not available in countries such as Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan and Romania.

The only drawback is that I will in future be unable to send books to my daughters…..

One final thought - as far as Amazon is concerned, I was an intruder trying to gain access to an account unlawfully. You would have thought that they would have subsequently sent me a warning note about this. The fact that they haven;t done so - 20 hours after the attempt - suggests to me that they have accepted that this was a genuine attempt by a customer but that they don't actually care.....

No comments:

Post a Comment