what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Monday, November 2, 2020

Links I Liked – hats off to black and white tradition of photography; to Words; to Localism; and to another weekly roundup worth reading

1. As a fan of Realist painting, I’ve always been drawn to black and white photography – and I was sorry I didn’t know more about Chris Killip who died a few weeks ago and was moved by this tribute to him  

Andre Kertesz’s little book On Reading is one of my favourites – and New York’s MOMA had this great catalogue about the man. 

And this week’s NYRB celebrates another photographer I hadn’t been aware of – Dorothea Lange who had also been honoured by MOMAShe had been part of Roosevelt’s famous programme which had employed artists to record the Great Depression and “An American Exodus” is one of her best-known collections of photography from that period

2. Economics from the Top Down is a blog I’ve only recently come across. Blair Fix tells us that he - 

“spends his time thinking about the future of humanity, and how we can create economic theory that’s relevant to real-world problem”

 Readers know how important I find our use of particular words – and indeed of language as a whole. So I couldn’t resist a (long) article with the title “Deconstructing Econo speak”. You can ignore the more technical aspects – it’s the use he makes of google analytics which counts….

3. a useful-looking report called Think Big, Act Small from the New Local Foundation which strikes a chord for me – given my commitment to localism

4. A Professor Heather Marquette does a weekly roundup of her reading on Governance and Conflict to which I’ve become addicted. This week’s is on corruption material…..

No comments:

Post a Comment