what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Sunday, June 16, 2024

My Trip to Scotland

I'm nearing the end of this short trip - I catch the train this afternoon for London where I get to see my grandson for the first time in almost 3 years - and will fly out of Gatwick for Bucharest on Wednesday. It's been a useful, if rather strenuous, trip - with flat viewing in Kirkcaldy the first week and stay in my Edinburgh sister-in-law's house the second. She's guided me to good bookshops and, yesterday, to the Scottish Parliament where I picked up one of four books I've been reading since I got here.

The first was Rory Stewart's "Politics on the Edge" - a devastating picture of the state of the contemporary political system in the UK as seen by a centrist traditional Tory.

The second is Warring Fictions – left populism and its myths by Chris Clarke (2019) who is the son of Charles, a Cabinet Minister in Bliar's government with the book exploring the divisions in the Labour party between the "left populists" and the "left pluralists" - making some very intriguing constrasts.

The third book is by a working class Glaswegian - The Social Distance Between us - how remote politics wrecked Britain which adds the class dimension to Stewart’s picture. It's really challenging and made me realise how predictably bourgeois I am in my perceptions and attitudes.

The final book is by one of Scotland's very rare public intellectuals, Gerry Hassan (Tom Nairn was another and Mark Blyth has the makings of a third) - Scotland Rising (2022) which strikes a rare note of moderation in the bitter divide between nationalists and unionists in the country.


No comments:

Post a Comment