what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Sunday, December 18, 2022

The 2022 Posts

Readers have a variety of riches awaiting them on this blog. Too many of you, I fear, look only for the latest post and don’t appreciate that the site contains other treasures ie

  • Ebooks

  • blogroll

  • hyperlinks – one the blog’s distinctive features

  • search facility

Let me say a world about each -

List of E-books; It took me some time to realise that the blog contained an amazing resource for English-speakers….the top-right corner has the list of E-books which have resulted from a careful selection and editing of the posts. They are, effectively, annotated guides to such subjects as -

  • change – in all its aspects

  • culture in the broadest sense

  • patterns of decline

  • The critical writing of the past half century about our economic system
  • The literature on administrative reform
  • The debate about Scottish independence over the past decade
  • Cultural aspects of countries such as Romania, Bulgaria and Germany

I can safely say that no such guides exist elsewhere in the English language. But I’m not able to crack the question of their wider dissemination. They’re not much use if noone knows of their existence!! This is an issue I have to address. Ironically, however, the “resource” offered by the reading lists which have become such a feature of the blog is not something I seem to avail myself of too frequently! I tend all too often to “skim and save” – and generally fail to return to the link and read it properly.

Insights into other worlds – good writing and painting” – aka Blogroll; This is a list of my favourite blogs which I do my best to keep updated. Inevitably, some blogs will stop posting and these I will remove. And some new delights appear – a few weeks ago, for example, Accidental GodsAnd two which I look forward to are first a superb German blog on constitutional matters (!!) written predominantly in English and The weekly Alternative journal

The blog’s Search Facility; This is an amazing facility which I find very helpful in finding material I know is in there somewhere. If you punch a key phrase into the blog’s search facility, chances are it will instantly give you something interesting. Try it.

Hyperlinks; This is one of the blog’s most distinctive features – surpassed only by Chris Grey’s weekly post-Brexit blog I cannot guarantee that all the hyperlinks will work – mainly because of one library link I was using turned out to be a pirate site which has now been taken down by US authorities!

So here is is This too will pass – the 2022 posts


No comments:

Post a Comment