what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Bulgarian Whites

Perhaps understandably, I failed to mention the annual 2 day Bulgarian wine fair I attended 2 weekends ago here in Sofia. 
It was hard work – and required a rest afterwards! For 10 euros I had a 2-day pass and more than 200 wines to taste. 
I did my best on the Saturday – the white and rose day - but found red Sunday a bit of a slog – with my pallet and tongue fairly quickly getting badly coated!

For some reason, I decided to score the wines out of 6.0 and the white wines I appreciated came out as follows -
  • Lovica - Chardonnay (6 levs!) 4.5 out of 6.0
  • LV - Colombard (5 levs! and 4.5 score) and Sauvignon Blanc (SB)
  • Black Sea Gold - Muscat El Mar (6 levs) - find of the day! Salty Hills Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc (15 levs) - one of the best (Silver medal)
  • Minkov - Rheinriesling 
  • Katarzyna - SB (4.2)
  • Marvin - Viognier and Chardonnay and Viognier - both 4.5s in my scoring
  • Villa Yustina - Blanc Cuvee (8 levs)
  • Zagreus - white Mavrud - 4.5 on my scoring
  • Medi Valley - Chardonnay Incanto (4.9!!) 18 levs and Chardonnay and Viognier
  • No Man's Land 600 SB  12 levs
  • Kapatovo - Chardonnay and Viognier 4.5 (18 levs) 
On Sunday, the only wine which impressed me was the Ethno range of wines. They are from the Sungurlare valley near Burgas on the Black Sea and the Chardonnay I am now drinking (3 euros) got a silver medal (in the 2013 "Chardonnays of the World" somewhere). How do they do it??

Tomorrow I will try to find some specimens of all these wines in the CaseVino chain - the Bulgarian version of Oddbins – and subject them in the next week to some tough tasting and testing. 
No rest for the conscientious!!

The photo is of the wine museum in Sungurlare village - the wine area very near Burgas

No comments:

Post a Comment