what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Monday, March 21, 2022

Damn these software engineers

Why do IT people always assume that "improvements" mean better??? My website host has suddenly brought in a new style which has made my life a misery and the blog an aesthetic disaster.
 - the new software seems unable to allow new lines!! 
 - The hyperlinks which are embedded in my text no longer work. I have to find each url again, copy each one and then insert them one by one into the post 
the text which I was previously able to copy directly into the website in the precise format which I wanted no longer differentiates between large and small
 - italics and bold I have to insert afresh
 - other issues which I can't be bothered to write about 

 I want out! 
 At one fell swoop the software engineers have removed all enjoyment I had in uploading text to the blog!

Update; No reply yet from blogpost people - but I have been able to change the format - by clicking a hidden icon which then gave me an option of "compose view". And I've just successfully posted text with hyperlinks......so we could just be back in business!!

AND INDEED WE ARE. I've just uploaded a new post - successfully. 
We ARE back in business - just as before. For which MANY THANKS to the blogpost people for what has been a great site. I had been looking at other options - but they all posed problems for me.....

2 comments:

  1. As a software developer myself I have to take issue with the claim that 'IT people always assume that "improvements" mean better??'

    In fact, I would say developers are often technically very conservative, as googling 'Editor war' will show - this is the war of words between users of two truly ancient programmers' editors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comment - I did indeed imagine that technical people and their organisations are driven bu a need to innovate. So thanks for reminding me there's always another perspective!
    If anyone's conservative, it's the blogger - since we have honed the functionality and aesthetics of our site over many years (13 in my case) and resent interventions which threaten our work.

    ReplyDelete