what you get here

This is not a blog which opines on current events. It rather uses incidents, books (old and new), links and papers to muse about our social endeavours.
So old posts are as good as new! And lots of useful links!

The Bucegi mountains - the range I see from the front balcony of my mountain house - are almost 120 kms from Bucharest and cannot normally be seen from the capital but some extraordinary weather conditions allowed this pic to be taken from the top of the Intercontinental Hotel in late Feb 2020

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Invitation to a lucky Dip

Being part III of the marketing for Dispatches to the next generation
I generally write for myself – to help me make sense of things.
I am not one of these natural story-tellers….who weave tales which seduce listeners. That’s why so many of my texts lie around in an unfinished state – it’s not that I lack the discipline or patience to complete them….I simply don’t have the skill…..

But this is a different sort of book – more like a collection of essays you can dip into at any point whenever the mood takes you….not having to bother about the story line or the history of – or connections between – the various characters who figure in the story….

So, take heart, this is not a book to daunt you – but rather….to get you moving…

Part III – sketches for a future world

Title

Takeaway

In which I make an early attempt to distinguish books according to their place on the political spectrum

A list of what I consider the most interesting books since 2010 – 50 of them!
Fightback

Some individuals to inspire us to action

I’m generally disappointed by the books on how we might change things, but this is one person who makes sense

presentation of a useful typology – with examples

Small is still Beautiful

How a 1970s idea has grown

A concept which has become fashionable in recent years

A reminder of the importance of workers’ cooperatives

And of the importance of this ethic

Change requires both perspiration – and inspiration. And these are inspiring examples….

The comeback of an old Scottish discipline

How people reacted to a book which caused quite a stir in 2016

Few authors appreciate – or do justice to – the scale of the “social economy”

No comments:

Post a Comment